Friday, February 1, 2008

The YARN (Part 3)

I made it down to Jean's today and boy do we have ALOT of work to do. I brought my smelly cones as well as the 26 skeins I washed yesterday. First, here is the yarn that Jean washed and plyed.Looks innocent enough, doesn't it? We did decide today that this yarn is going to work best as 3 plys, and for the yarn that is on the cone, it makes most sense to ply before washing. I was a little afraid at first, mainly because this yarn really does have a strong mildew odor. Turns out, it wasn't bad at all. Here is Jean test-plying on her wheel.I ended up working on some plying, while Jean took my clean skeins and wound them on her ball winder.
This is quite an operation. Unfortunately, Carol had the flu, so I only had one "pusher" to hang out with today. This is the new drug she is trying to deal.....

I'm not buyin'! Actually, she had me sit at the loom (very intimidating), and showed me how it works. I saw her final results and they are beautiful! Fortunately, I live in a very small house, so a loom is out of the question, not to mention the fact that I am total afraid of it. Just thinking about threading the thing gives me a panic attack!

I had a really nice day hanging out with Jean. We went out to lunch and I got to learn even more about her life - this woman has done everything! I'm looking forward to getting together with her again soon (probably the end of next week), but I have to get some work done first!

I will leave you with pictures of Jean's basement. Most of the drawers you see have yarn, with the exception of one full of ribbons she has won in various knitting/spinning competitions. All of the shelves are full of yarn. She is amazing! (Check out her closet, that is ALL fiber for spinning - I want to live in her closet).


Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

1 comment:

AudreyO said...

Wow, I love all your photos. I'm a crocheter and at various times I've had just tons and tons of assorted yarns. Nice blog.