Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Oh So Very Tired!

Yesterday I attended my first sheep shearing. It was a great learning experience in so many ways. I learned how to skirt a fleece, so now I am equipped should I ever want to buy one. Of course, the two farms I was volunteering at were so generous and allowed me to "take whatever I wanted". I tried to be good, really I did, but that comment is like leaving a kid alone in a candy store. Not to mention, Wendy, the owner of the 2nd farm, started working on me regarding taking all 15 of her fleeces before we were finished at the first farm! She really was great and I had alot of fun with all the women who were helping. I did call her a drug dealer though - maybe I shouldn't have considering she's a pastor's wife =) She seemed to think it was funny, so I think I'm okay. All in all, it was a great day working side by side with some really terrific women. I did forget my camera (of course), so I stopped off at a WaWa for a disposable. As soon as I get it developed onto disc, I'll post them. Here's what came home with me......Seven bags o' fleece in total. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before I start cleaning them. I've only cleaned alpaca fleece, so this will be a new experience. Speaking of alpaca, Patrick and I will be going to the alpaca farm for our 3rd year helping with shearing the beginning of April. Will try to remember the camera that day, though alpaca shearing is alot more stressful and slower than sheep shearing. Wish us luck!

On the knitting front, I was almost finished Courtney's socks when I realized one was larger than the other - I was ready to decrease for the toe when I realized. Ugh! So a froggin' I went. Hoping to get them close to done tonight, though I am quite sore and tired from yesterday's activities. On the baby hats, I have completed 11 so far. Getting ready to start on my Vintage Socks - I see alot of alcohol in my future while working on those! Oh, and look what Carol made for me from THE YARN....
She hand-wove this for me and I love it! It is so very warm when I get a chance to use it - Courtney has pretty much claimed it during tv time every night, so I have to wait for her bedtime for "my time" with it.

Jean took the us to Carol's farm the other weekend so the girls could hold some baby lambs. Courtney was afraid to hold them, she didn't want to drop them, so she was content to look and pet. I'll leave you with some "baby" pics!
Happy Knitting!



No comments: